Category Archives: Build Your Wardrobe
//We’ve all had that experience where you stand in front of your closet and think, “I have NOTHING to wear!” Yet, you’re looking at a closet full of clothes! So what does it mean? It may mean that your closet is disjointed or that you lack key pieces, which serve as the foundation for any “well-rounded” wardrobe. This post will focus on essential dresses to have in your closet. These are the dresses that can be worn for a number of different occasions and paired with a variety of accessories.
Sheath Dress – This dress is a structured dress that follows the contours of the body and is chic and timeless. You can wear one to the office, to a semi-formal luncheon or dinner, a networking happy hour, etc. This type of dress looks best when it hits around the knee and is snug to fit your shape.
Wrap Dress – Wrap dresses are a perfect choice for many women because you can adjust them to fit and flatter your shape. My last look post featured a wrap dress I purchased from Banana Republic and I love it. And reader, Erin, noted that a non-wrinkle wrap dress makes this style even more appealing. Diane Von Furstenburg is known for her wrap dresses for the effortless, everyday woman.
Where To Shop//Banana Republic; Macy’s; Nordstrom; Bluefly.com; Arden B
Little Black Dress – Ah…what is more classic than the little black dress! So Classic. There are many styles to choose from and whether for work or a night out on the town, you can never go wrong with a LBD.
Where To Shop //BCBGMaxazria; bebe; Express; Forever 21
The Stunner – With all the talk about timeless and classic pieces, it’s also great to have that one stunner dress – the one that will put all eyes on you when you walk in the room. Bright, bold color, sparkle and shine – Whatever your choice just make sure you wear it with confidence!
Where To Shop//Off 5th Saks; Last Call by Neiman Marcus; H&M; Piperlime.com
//We’ve all had that experience where you stand in front of your closet and think, “I have NOTHING to wear!” Yet, you’re looking at a closet full of clothes! So what does it mean? It may mean that your closet is disjointed or that you lack key pieces, which serve as the foundation for any “well-rounded” wardrobe. This post will focus on key “bottoms.” The types of pants to include in your closet to ensure great versatility and an easy, breezy dressing experience. And here is a piece of advice since bottoms can be the trickiest items in our closet – Invest in a good tailor! Search and ask around. I’ve found some great pants that didn’t fit me, but I was NOT about to leave them in the store. Took them to the tailor and walked out looking like a new lady! Find someone and put them on speed dial.
- Black Pants – Black pants can never go out of style. Whether for work or the weekend, blacks pants, in multiple styles, are essential for a well-rounded wardrobe. Boot-cut slacks are best for work, stretchy skinny pants are hot for the weekend, and black cotton blend pants can go any and everywhere. Plus, as we all know, black and slimming and sexy. So if you don’t have at least 2 – 3 pairs of black pants…start your shopping list. now.
- Dark Denim Jeans – What girl doesn’t love a GREAT pair of jeans?! And dark denim always gives that polished look that can go from casual to glam, with the addition of a great pair of heels. Many women have trouble finding jeans that fit them perfectly. I’m short (though not as short as some of my friends who are major shrimps, lol) so for casual jeans, I have to buy petite or my pants will be the extreme opposite of flooding…whatever that is. When I’m wearing heels, only then can I wear regular jeans. The best advice is to shop around and then when you find some that fit you well…stock up like you’ve hit the motherload. I shop at Express, JCPenny’s, and Gap…they all carry short/petite pants. If you have curves…word on the street is that Forever 21 has some good jeans to fit curvacious ladies. Slim & Tall – Nichi (check out her post here) says that William Rast and J Brand Jeans are two of her go to brands.
- Beige/Khaki Pants – I’m ashamed to admit that for the longest time, I had no khaki or beige pants in my closet. I don’t know what was wrong with me. But I got my act together and I’m so glad I did. There are many times you may have an event to go to and denim is not appropriate, it’s too hot for black pants, so what do you do? Bring on the Beige. They go with anything and there are so many classic and funky styles. Invest in a few good pairs and you’ll love yourself even more.
- Leggings – Some people love them, some hate them. I for one, do not know how to feel about someone who doesn’t own AT LEAST one pair of leggings. My number is in the double digits and I’m sure as it gets colder, it’s going to get higher. I mean, what’s not to love?! From classic black to leopard print, to sequins, to leather…leggings are so comfortable and when worn PROPERLY*, they look great on all kinds of women. One of my favorite winter outfits is a cute sweater, print scarf, leggings, and knee-high boots. Loves!
*And by properly I mainly mean that your bum is covered if they are see-through/sheer. 😐
- Colored Jeans/Pants – This is something that is on trend for this fall, but many of us have been wearing colored jeans or pants for a while. I have about 2 pieces (red wide leg pants and bright pink jeans) that I’m wanting to wear soon. I would not say this is an “essential” item, but it’s nice to have pieces that help you to stand out when you’re headed for a fun event or night out on the town. Everywhere I look, there are colored pants from Forever 21 to Macy’s to Nordstrom. Whatever your price point, you’re covered.